Friday, November 26, 2010

Tea for...fifteen?

I meant to post about this sooner, but completely forgot in all the job-search thesis hubbub.

A little while ago, I was on a big tea kick and was perusing craigslist and kijiji for a teapot to match the art-decoish creamer and sugar we received as one of our wedding presents, when I came upon a sale for about 15 teacups for $30. My hubby said I could buy them, so I went ahead and arranged to pick them up. It's a varied collection, leftovers from someone else's, but I don't mind. I don't think I'll need to keep all of them, and I definitely have my own personal favorites.

It was kind of a learning experience for me, as I never knew there were so many different cup shapes. I don't know how else to describe them, and an admittedly-quick google-search didn't bring me anything that would describe the shapes, so all I can say is that there are some that are 'classic' teacup shape, some broader, some smoother, an octagonal one, one with rounded bits at the bottom...and the saucers are all different, too. The cups are from different manufacturers, and some have little gold numbers on the back which I assume were applied by the collector to mark them. I believe almost all of them are bone china.

Some of the manufacturers represented in this collection include:
Adderly
Consort
Duchess
Delphine
Ridgway Potteries
Royal Albert
Royal Winston

A few samples (thumbnails, so click to see larger):

teacup,tea teacup,tea teacup,tea teacup,tea

Which one is your favorite? You can find the entire gallery here. It was my first time taking pics like that, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I tried to give decent descriptions in each info bit on photobucket, such as manufacturer and a description of the motif. If you know more, have more info, or know of any resources, please let me know! I found a few when looking for information, but those with more experience can probably point me in the right direction. I'm not interested in appraising them, really, just finding out more about them in general. I have much to learn about this new 'hobby'/collection of mine.

~A page with info on the makers marks and backstamps~

I still haven't found an inexpensive enough teapot to go with our creamer & sugar set, but I'll know it when I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment